Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

24 Hour Modding Contest

<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post December 5th, 2009, 9:29 pm

Re: 24 Hour Modding Contest

UnusedUpgrade60 wrote:Can I make the mod and pass it off to a balancer without this being included in the 24 hours?

EDIT: I may drop out from sheer laziness.

The idea isn't to get overwhelmed by this small project. If you cannot do the balancing yourself, don't worry about it. Focus on prototyping an interesting concept, something you can do within the time limit. There's a reason this contest is so short. No one will be demanding perfection, so just make something. You can always expand on it later, improve it, if you find you really like what you come up with. The only failure is not entering at all.
<<

Debardus

Post December 6th, 2009, 8:41 am

Did anyone make something?
<<

UnusedUpgrade60

Post December 6th, 2009, 10:42 am

Damn! I came so close to finishing, but it crashes!
<<

KooKsTeR

Post December 6th, 2009, 11:55 am

BOB SAGET!! I WANT IN BUT I WONT HAVE TIE TILL MONDAY TO WORK ON A MOD!!!
<<

Hydrolisk

Post December 6th, 2009, 1:03 pm

I was unable to work on my mod due to extenuating circumstances. I'll get something in later today, but I haven't even started.
<<

UnusedUpgrade60

Post December 6th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Looks like we'll be extending the contest?
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post December 6th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Debardus wrote:Did anyone make something?

I did, and Pololaris was working on something.
<<

FlyingHat

Post December 7th, 2009, 8:30 pm

Oh balls, good job to me for forgetting about this for a week.
ImageImageImage
<<

bajadulce

Post December 7th, 2009, 8:51 pm

Debardus wrote:Did anyone make something?
  • I uploaded that missile turret. :D
  • I also spent a good 4+ hours Sunday night taking care of some bugs with my latest mod that needed attending to. So my time was invested in something that isn't "new", but was valuable time not wasted. ;)
  • Tonight (Monday) I built a new "mod" in which I wanted to test whether the computer will crash if transport wireframes don't match their unit size. This test involved grafting, .grp compiling, .dat editing, and finally ai script writing. :giggle:

Here is the test:
Transport test.zip
(358.16 KiB) Downloaded 1540 times

I couldn't find any pre-recorded TvT replays in which this mod crashes WITHOUT clicking on a dropship with cargo. (This was expected tho not enough replays were watched to rule this out) However, IF one does click on a dropship with cargo, the mod will crash most of the time. IskatuMesk's AO is known to have such wireframes and I was curious after I experienced such a crash with an overlook in my own mod.

My next 24 hour modding challenge will be to begin building computer only .grps to replace my 4th race. After that, I will be reducing the .grp dimensions of most of my units. Then I can begin plugin work on mod + a campaign. Oh and continue to study/read the ASM tutorials in my journey towards getting a single dropdown race + work on my BWAPI 2010 AI competition program. A modder should never have "nothing" to do! :P

* goes back to work modding.
<<

KooKsTeR

Post December 8th, 2009, 12:52 pm

blah my concept didnt work :( atleast without a long work around
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post December 8th, 2009, 1:44 pm

I had an idea, but due to the time difference in Japan, I misjudged when the contest started. I kind of like the concept, though, and am fleshing it out further. I may do something with it.
<<

bajadulce

Post December 8th, 2009, 2:51 pm

KooKsTeR wrote:blah my concept didnt work :( atleast without a long work around
Your efforts will not be wasted in vain if you upload all documentation + whatever you worked on. Maybe somebody else can get it to work OR at the least may spark ideas or a different route for the next person. If nothing else, the next guy in line won't have to waste his time with something that you have proven can't work.

Hercanic wrote:I had an idea, but due to the time difference in Japan, I misjudged when the contest started. I kind of like the concept, though, and am fleshing it out further. I may do something with it.
It's now Tuesday here in the states in case you are still "lost in translation" :giggle:

24 hours is up.. This contest was a dud. Start making REAL mods now! Real mods that require weeks and weeks of dedication, blood, sweat and tears. We don't need another 24 hour modding contest.
<<

Hydrolisk

Post December 9th, 2009, 1:49 am

NO U

I'll try to do something this weekend within 24 hours. I really meant to do something for the contest. I still want to submit something. Or, just post the results of the endeavor that I will undertake on the weekend (or sooner).
<<

bajadulce

Post December 9th, 2009, 12:55 pm

:) I'm not trying to be a dick, but am just stating the facts and trying to crack the whip. Since the creation of this modding headquarters forum nearly 6 months ago, there has been almost zero new mods created by its members? Why is that? And is this what the great Clan[mm] has diminished to.. 24 hour modding contests because the veteran members are too uninspired or motivated to put more energy into modding? If you're going to stop modding, at least go out with a bang like LordAga or Mesk did.

If you need direction or something to do for the next 24 hours, I have plenty:
  • I need someone to help build an exe edit or plugin so that the default dropdown race selection can be altered so it always starts as the same race
  • I recently uploaded an excel spreadsheet that lists the majority of the strings in my mod in which am looking for help translating to various languages. If you are fluent in another language this would be a huge help. Corbo has volunteered for Spanish btw. Yes, this is a big deal to me.
  • I'm searching for a catapult to replace the siege tank.
  • Need help with mod's website = information
  • have started modernizing Open Rebellion and still am in need of some graphics + plugin help here as well.
... that's enough for now, but you get the picture. Stay focus and do something. Modding, like most hobbies, requires a labor of love. You can dabble in it or totally immerse yourself. I say Immerse and go full bore! :)

DO IT NOW over your Christmas break! I miss playing new mods. K thnx, and look forward to playing your next mod.
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post December 9th, 2009, 1:58 pm

plugin help

In.

Though I have no clue how to do your dropdown box thingy. As pq.
<<

bajadulce

Post December 9th, 2009, 2:39 pm

Heinermann gave me his mapping of Starcraft he did for BWAPI with this program called IDA Pro (awesome program btw) and the dropdown box hack is looking closer than ever to being solved thnx to his preliminary findings. I can now see the dropdown boxes changing in memory with memory debuggers so am getting closer. This isn't to say this is the area of the memory that sets the default setting for those races, but at least its a start. If anything, I suppose one could write a plugin that changed these, tho I was hoping to find where they are set "default". At the same time, I'm starting to think AI mods like AdAstras and Planar Erratus that use a single race for the cpu could benefit from Use Map Settings. In this case, the race is SET according to the map. Player vs. Player is not an issue at all.

I'll keep you updated on the plugns and could use your help. Writing the plugins, as with most things, isn't the real obstacle, it's coming up with creative ideas as to how and where they can be used that will tie in with the mod.
Previous

Return to Discuss